Oakland Food Policy Council (OFPC) is looking for a Social Marketing Communications Strategist to ignite awareness of OFPC and engage in multimedia communications on our work and the food movement. Must have exceptional organizational skills, a knack for research, sharp wit, and a willingness to work during nonstandard business hours. The candidate must posses a solid understanding of the social media universe including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Digg, reddit, forums, wikis and blogs, etc. Prior experience in journalism, public relations, or marketing communications is preferred.
Reports to: Council Director
Status: Hourly; Non-Exempt; Part-Time 0.40 FTE (16 hours/week); Six month contract with possible extension. This is a remote position with in-person meetings.
The Social Marketing Communications Strategist implements social marketing and communications to increase visibility, foster participation, education, and discussion of OFPC’s initiatives, achievements and vision for change.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with director and Communications Workgroup to develop and execute an online strategy to engage Oakland residents, including developing and managing viral social media campaigns, creating and implementing high-profile channel accounts, and integrating interactive media into overall policy advocacy strategy to creatively and proactively implement initiatives for enhanced following to drive growth and build potential partnerships.
- Craft opinionated, stylish writing and frequently posting new content to various sources on the internet. including online communities, press releases, web articles and video blogs.
- Establish and maintain social media accounts across new media channels daily.
- Coordinate the marketing calendar with online activity, track social media influence by defining key performance indicators and implement enterprise level measurement, analytics, and reporting methods to gauge success, prepare brief reports to update Council Director and Communications Workgroup on usage statistics.
- Assist in developing messaging, review and update ongoing OFPC messaging materials.
- BA degree in a related field;
- 3+ years experience in marketing/communications, ideally in the non-profit sector. Familiarity with food justice a plus.
- Excellent writing and communication skills; strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects under demanding deadlines are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to grow social media presence and successful social marketing campaign.
- Experience in working with volunteers.
- Experience in media and public relations (news releases, pitching the media and photographers).
- Familiarity with Lunarpages and WordPress content management systems and communications and social media.
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of design programs a plus.
- Relate and communicate to all types of individuals in a respectful, non-judgmental, professional manner.
If interested please provide resume, cover letter and written sample to Esperanza Pallana at epallana at oaklandfood dot org by March 17th 2014.